The church of St Weneppa, Gwennap is founded on a Celtic monastery thought to date from the late 5th century. The present building dates from the 17th century and is one of only four churches in Cornwall with a detached tower.
The church is thought to contain at least 10,000 bodies and has been closed and reopened several times over the centuries. It is particularly beautiful in the spring and early summer when the bluebells provide a carpet of colour and the cherry tree is in bloom. There are a number of very interesting memorials both inside the church and in the graveyard, and the church can provide a very useful book which records the known memorials.
The old churchyard has not been used for new burials since 1952 Frogpool cemetary is where new burials now go.
Below is a plan of Gwennap Cemetery. The numbers allow you to pictorially wander around the churchyard on the Gallery below, starting by the main gate and going clockwise through the cemetery. On Google maps it’s here: https://goo.gl/maps/Gihy34xgmk4Nb1JJ6
Below is a plan of Frogpool Cemetery. On Google maps here: https://goo.gl/maps/YPpwVzAWtq3gc1nK6
The Gallery follows the above plan sections.